If Not Me, Then Who? How you can help with Poverty, Economic Opportunity, Education, Healthcare, Environment, Racial Justice, and Peace Issues in America
The Cabell Brand Center owns this book which gives examples on how to think globally and act locally. With the proceeds from this book the center has created scholarship and fellowship opportunities to promote volunteerism and public service.
The Cabell Brand Center for Global Poverty and Resource Sustainability Studies is a Non-Profit Organization
Founded in 1987
The goals of center focus on Poverty, Environment, and Peace.
- Poverty issues focus on helping people be self-reliant.
- Environment issues focus on sustainability with particular emphasis on fresh water resources.
- Peace issues favor conflict resolution of all disputes, global, and local.
Environmental Division Objectives:
- Promote water and energy conservation, green environment, and mitigating climate change impacts at local level.
- Invest in the design, research and education of storm water issues and rainwater harvesting systems.
- Invest in the design, research and education of alternative water and energy systems in rural and low income areas.
- Promote sustainable and low impact development in urban and urbanizing areas to increase water quality and ecosystem services.
- Bring together communities, businesses and academia to address local and global water problems in a collaborative fashion.
Environmental Links & Collaborators:
The center will strive to eliminate global poverty and attain world peace by enhancing the quality of human life through excellence in research and education, technological innovation, and more widespread economic productivity. The center will focus especially on the sustainability of water resources and renewable energy at the local level.
- Support National and Local Efforts in Poverty Alleviation - with particular emphasis on Total Action for Progress (TAP) in the Roanoke Valley, which we helped start in 1965.
- Support the Shepherd Poverty Program, originated at Washington and Lee University and gives college students the opportunity to study poverty issues, causes, and solutions with an emphasis on public service.
Links to our Community Partnerships:
Peace Division Objectives:
- Help network all organizations in the world focusing on conflict resolution for local and global issues.
- Promote research, study, and implementation of educational programs throughout the world, with a particular focus on the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., The Carter Center in Atlanta, GA, and the Conflict Resolution and Peace Centers in Costa Rica.
Links to our Peace Associates:
Example of International Policy Advice:
Architectural Rendering of the U.S. Institute of Peace, Washington, D.C.
Its official - the Cabell Brand Center is a Virginia Energy Sense partner!
Click on their Logo and Check it out:
The Cabell Brand Center is proud to sponsor with Natural Awakening Magazine and Virginia Energy Sense this amazing upcoming workshop:
Sustainable Energy Workshop: Advancing Energy Efficiency and Solar PV Solutions for Virginians
When: October 18, 2013, 8am - 4:30pm
Where: Virginia Western Community College Greenfield Education & Training Center, Daleville, VA